10.18.2012

This is my home | living room.


There is not much better than a cozy place to come home to, is there? I've always been a bit of a homebody, so I tend to make my home—whether that means a room I'm renting or a whole apartment I'm sharing with M—a place that feels like a big hug. In my last two years of college I lived in the tiniest room I have ever seen. I could barely fit my twin bed and my desk in there, but with the right lighting and by shoving everything into my closet, I managed to make it a little cove. I loved writing and reading in there, waking up and falling asleep in there, and despite its size, I was proud to show it off when people came over. Look what I did with this space, I thought. I made it a space I belonged. So that was our goal when we moved into our apartment. My first impression was that it was too small. I had grown so used to sharing three bedroom apartments with roommates, the thought of downsizing that much and paying more seemed unfair. I'm glad I came around. This place is the perfect size for the both of us, and even when we entertained about 20 people a couple of weekends ago, sleeping 5 people here overnight, it was comfortable and cozy.

Our living room is where we spend the most of our time. Isn't that funny how that changes? I went from working from home at a desk in my room, from stuffing everything to my name in one room in an apartment of three, to having an entire living room to do my living! And a bedroom that primarily serves as a place to sleep! Such novelty! Such luxury!

My favorite part about our living room is our vintage camera wall, hands down. But there are other little details that I love, like these prints from Etsy that I got M for his birthday our first year together. Or his collection of View Masters on the windowsill. The crates we bought at Brimfield (one of them has the name of M's hometown on it!) that now serve as a bookshelf. I love every little bit of this room because we spend so much time in it, but also because it's ours. It's a perfect mixture of our tastes and personalities, and I'm proud to show it off when people come over. Look at this space we made.

4 comments:

wishful nals said...

so lovely! it's so important to have a cozy place to call home. :)

Alison said...

Decorating your own home is so important if you wan it to feel like a home. I love your vintage camera wall, but your viewmasters are in a close second. So cool!

Erica said...

I love all the quirky accessories you have displayed. I'm really needing to add more personality to my house. Right now it is just a blank canvas. Oh, the possibilities...

his little lady said...

Loving this, especially those vintage cameras! Too fabulous! :)
xo TJ