11.01.2012

When in...Portsmouth, NH (Part I)

For my birthday, Mike got us tickets to see Ingrid Michaelson in Portsmouth, NH, on October 26. It was kind of nice having something to look forward to long after the birthday celebrations died down. I always joke with my Mike that my birthday lasts until the end of the year, and this certainly didn't help me think otherwise.

On Friday, he picked me up from work and we drove the hour and a half or so up to this adorable little town. It kind of reminds me of Northhampton, MA, with its main drag of shops and cozy feel. We got in just in time to grab a delicious dinner at Portsmouth Brewery (you gotta try the fried chickpeas!) and head over to The Music Hall. The concert was part of their intimate series, and the venue was definitely perfect for that. We were up on the balcony in cheaper, "obstructed view" seats, and we had a perfect view. Katie Herzig opened and also sang with her on "The Chain," and was a beautiful match for Ingrid. I love her shows because she's hilarious. In the hour or so that she's performing, it feels like you're just hanging out with her. She talks and interacts with the audience, giving a background and a personality to her music. She mentioned that a reviewer criticized her for her tendency to give a play by play, but that's one of my favorite parts of seeing her live. That and she is just incredible. And even though the night ended in a splitting headache (strong beer+not enough water+wearing my contacts too long), it was perfect. 

1 comment:

Becca said...

This sounds like such a wonderful combo: Portsmouth and Ingrid Michaelson! I love them both, and learned to love them both when I lived in Boston.

Such a pretty post. :-)