9.22.2013

On new beginnings.

On our drive back from New York tonight, I was telling Mike about how fall always makes me excited. I don't know whether it's because it's my birthday month and something wakes up inside me, or if it's residual giddiness from my love for school, but something about the ending of August fills me with anticipation that explodes in September. My house fills with empty notebooks and new pens, and as I get older I start to accumulate other things, like freshly picked apples, jars of preserves from roadside stands, jugs of cider.

I've been quiet here because this summer has been a time of reflection for me. My friend Crysty and I call it staying in our rooms, where we take time to ourselves to work things out and articulate our own feelings on a situation before seeking and welcoming advice. That's where I've been these past few months, working out what I want from this blogging thing, where I want to go with writing and all of my side interests.

I'm taking my cue from the throngs of students in Harvard Square each morning on my way to work and recommitting to the Skillshare classes I've signed up for in graphic design and Illustrator. I downloaded Illustrator on my new computer on Friday, and I have 30 days to prove to myself I'm serious. After that, we'll see. For now, today marks the beginning of my favorite season and my own, homemade sort of graduate school. I hope your new beginnings are as exciting as mine feel right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fall is always exciting for me too, although I can't put my finger on the reason. Good luck with Illustrator! :)